Quick Pickling Vegetable Skewers
This week, I've rescued and updated one of my favourite recipes to start the year eating healthy and being more sustainable. I've put a spin on the classic Spanish pickled vegetable skewer "Banderilla," using a part of broccoli almost no one uses, the stems.
With broccoli and other seasonal vegetables different from the original recipe, I'll show you how to make a delicious tapa perfect for any time of the day.
Keep reading to find out how to prepare this typical Spanish tapa in just 5 minutes.
Pickling Vegetables Recipe
- Preparation time 15 min
- Cooking time 5 min
- Total time 24 hours
Ingredients for 8 Skewers
- 3 Broccoli stems
- 1 big red pepper
- 2 carrots
- 6 radish
- 10 coriander seed
- A bunch of Dill
- 1 root of ginger
- A Bay leaf.
- A clove of garlic
For Pickling brine
- 250 ml water
- 400 ml white grape vinegar
- 20 g salt
- 20 g sugar
- A Bay leaf
- 10 black peppercorns
For the vegetables.
- First, cut the flowers of the broccoli leaving the stems clean. Keep the flowers for cooking in different ways. For example, blanch them, and add them to a salad.
- Peel the broccoli stems and cut them into slices of about 3 cm. Shape them in any way you like, but they must be the same size so that the vinegar cooking process is the same.
- I have used a pastry cutter to give them a round shape.
- Then, do the same with the pepper, the radish and finally the carrot, which I have cut into squares to make the skewers with different shapes and colours.
- Now it is time to insert the vegetables on the skewer and put them inside a sterilised glass jar with the ginger, the clove of garlic and the coriander seeds.
- On the other hand, put the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, bay leaf and peppercorns in a pot.
- Bring it to the boil, ensuring the sugar and salt are perfectly diluted.
- Pour the hot contents of your pot into the glass jar making sure that the liquid covers the brochettes completely.
- Close the jar with the lid. Let it stand for a day in the dark at room temperature.
- Then keep it in the refrigerator.
The Broccoli stem skewers are ready to eat any time you want.
I recommend you keep it for 15 days at maximum, then the colour and taste lose strength.
You can serve them as an appetiser like crudités, as part of a salad or as an accompaniment to many dishes.
Try this delicious recipe and discover how simple vegetables can transform into a different vegan tapa dish.