Fennel and Chorizo Stew Recipe
Today, I present to you a delightful and comforting soup, perfect for tackling chilly winter days. This fennel and chorizo stew is a culinary gem that has stood the test of time, passed down through generations in the Mediterranean region of Spain, particularly in the beautiful region of Andalusia.
While this recipe may have few written references in Spanish cuisine, it has gained popularity for its deep roots in local traditions. It is a variation of the classic fennel stew, showcasing authentic traditional food that melds robust and comforting flavours. Emerging from the earliest cooking methods, this blend of vegetables and meat cooked in a pot with water has become a culinary treasure.
What makes this recipe wonderful is its versatility; you can tailor it to your tastes and the ingredients available in your fridge. Join me on this culinary journey as we explore the flavours of history in every spoonful of this fennel and chorizo stew.
Fennel and Chorizo Traditional Stew Recipe
- Preparation time 15 min
- Cooking time 2 h
- Total time 2 h 15 min
- 200 g potatoes
- 100 g rice
- 100 g chickpeas
- 1 Leek
- Two cloves of Garlic.
- 2 carrots
- 1 fennel (250 g)
- 50 g Spanish Iberian Ham Fat
- 100 g Spanish Iberian Ham
- 2 chorizos (250 g)
- 1,5 L water
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Begin by washing, peeling, and chopping the leek, carrot, onion, and garlic.
- Place the chopped vegetables into a pot containing 1.5 litres of water.
- Introduce the Iberian ham fat into the pot for added flavour.
- Wash and finely chop the green part of the fennel, traditionally used in this recipe, and add it to the pot. Alternatively, you can use the whole fennel.
- Set the pot over medium heat, bringing the mixture to a boil with the ham fat and a pinch of salt.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, setting them aside for later use.
- Once the water with vegetables is boiling, add the chickpeas that have been soaked for approximately 8 hours.
- Allow the ingredients to cook for approximately an hour and a half.
- Simultaneously, bring water to a boil in another pot to cook the "chorizo" sausages and ham for about 20 minutes.
- Remove them from the boiling water, let them cool, and dice them to be added to the stew later.
- For an extra burst of flavour, consider adding a small amount of water to cook the sausages in the main pot.
- Introduce the chopped potatoes and rice into the stew.
- Continue cooking for an additional 25 minutes, adjusting the seasoning as needed.
- Ensure that the chickpeas are tender.
- Present the stew with its flavorful vegetables in a bowl or soup plate and finish topping the dish with diced chorizo, ham, and a sprinkle of fresh fennel greens.
Thank you for joining us in preparing this fennel and chorizo stew. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I enjoyed it. See you soon with more recipes, and Have a Tasty Day!